Through the whirlwind of the pandemic, students have been forced to find new, fun things to do on and off campus (especially when they need a break). As an incoming junior, I’ve been able to experience some “normal” college and the shut-down version. Although this past year was challenging, students have been creative in coming up with things to do with their friends. Below is one person’s favorite go-to things that you might like to do too! The options below are in no certain order and are just places I’ve enjoyed 😊.
- Star-gaze at the Matoaka Amphitheatre
- “Rent” a paddle board/kayak (students rent for free through the REC)
- Stay in Tucker Hall until midnight
- Movie nights in the academic buildings
- Be on the lookout for AMP events!!
- Games on the Sunken Garden (frisbee and spike ball!)
- Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings most of the year! (Dog Street)
- Colonial Parkway (good for drives and bike rides!)
- Ghost tours in Williamsburg
- Skateboarding down dog street
- Watch the sunrise at College Creek
- Nearby hiking trails!
Sick of dining hall food?
Here’s some walkable places to eat that are not The Cheese Shop:
- Amber Ox
- Oishii Japanese Ramen & Hibachi Grill
- Culture Café
- great vegan/vegetarian options
- Precarious (Taco Tuesdays)
- order chips and the cheese dip!
- Mellow Mushroom
- amazing pizza and pretzel appetizer!
- Secret Garden
Need a meal with parents/guardians?
- Casa Pearl
- oyster bar with outdoor seating!
- Blue Talon
- Berret’s Seafood
- Peter Chang’s
- Craft 31
- Shorty’s Diner
There’s lots of fun things to do outside and close to W&M so feel free to explore for yourself. I hope this list helps with the brainstorming process.