Every year, the Black Student Organization puts on a Step Show where National Pan-Hellinic Council sororities and fraternities from William and Mary and other schools in the area come and show their stepping skills in the Commonwealth Theatre . This Saturday, October 24, 2009 at 8 pm, the Step-off will occur and let me tell you the competition will be FIERCE! My illustrious sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, will be performing and I just want to tell you a little about the excessive amount of work it takes to be in the step show.
1. People in charge of handling the step show have to come up with a routine for the team….that includes stunts, transitions, main steps, chants, etc…because the show has to have all the logistics worked out.
2. The team has to come up with a theme and base their entire show off it (agreeing on the theme is the most difficult part because women want to be in charge of everything ! 🙂 )
3. Practice is at least three times a week and as we get closer practice becomes more intense. Approximately 20 hours per week is put in as the show approaches.
4. Same person/people have to teach the steps…that is a challenge all by itself.
5. The scheduling office knows our numbers by heart because you have to schedule places to practice so by the end the nice women in the scheduling office are calling you as much as your mother to make sure every organization gets their fair share of the Commonwealth.
6. Finding the same outfit for 10 different girls is not fun….it makes you realize the outlets aren’t that big after all.
So that is just a FEW pieces that make step show a struggle but….it is all worth it once you are done and off the stage….or so I heard and I’m sure I will find out real soon…Saturday October 24, 2009 to be exact!!!!!
This event is open to the public! Buy your tickets early from the Center for Student Diversity tickets! The show is on high demand because it is a must see so don’t miss out!