College dining halls can be pretty tricky places. I have yet to see any mystery meat at William & Mary, but there are certainly some things we all shy away from on the buffet line (that jambalaya looks like vomit and WHAT is a peanut butter pretzel puff?). The following is a list of my top five favorite foods from the Caf and Sadler dining centers. I don’t get to the Marketplace often, but after a long practice, the all-you-can-eat option is pretty fabulous. Here are my picks, best of luck on midterms and Bon Appétit!
1. TBM Panini- Maybe it’s the Italian in me, but the combination of pesto, mozzarella, tomato and crusty bread wins my vote for top spot, hands down. Other paninis I fancy include the Southwest Chicken Panini and Chicken Parmesan Panini, the latter of which I have yet to see this school year.
2. Stuffed French Toast- My new fav at Sadler, and no, I don’t get up early enough to actually go there for breakfast. When I got a second plate of this sweet deliciousness, the server told me that it was stuffed with ricotta and cream cheeses and dusted powdered sugar. Perfection.
3. Pumpkin Soup? Yes please. A seasonal favorite, no further explanation needed.
4. Cookies- Although my favorite is the “strawberry shortcake” cookie, the chocolate chip, chocolate chocolate -chip, oatmeal, white chocolate macadamia and newly added peanut-butter chocolate chip varieties are all welcome on my plate as I caf-sit (stay at the Caf and procrastinate going home and starting my homework) between the hours of 7 and 7:30 PM.
5. Fried Green Tomatoes- Available at the vegetarian station, these are dynamite. The marinara sauce that goes atop these fried little gems is also surprisingly good. Sprinkle on some cheese and enjoy.
Honorable mention: Macaroni and cheese, flatbread pizza (at Sadler), chili (regular and vegetarian versions), 3-bean salad, cream of tomato soup, chocolate molten lava cake (an old favorite), bread pudding, sour cream apple crisp, chicken Caesar salad and wrap, buffalo chicken wrap, pasta alfredo with chicken, bacon and peas, cinnamon sticks, Italian wedding soup, gluten-free Chex bars.