Well in 5 days I am leaving my cozy house in Chantilly, VA in order to spend the next 5 months studying abroad in Seville, Spain. I will be studying with other W&M students at the Universidad de Pablo Olivade. While in Spain, I will be living with a host mom, taking history, economics and Spanish classes, and traveling a LOT.
Over winter break, I have been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish when I study abroad. Yes, study abroad is an incredible opportunity to see the world, experience a new culture and put oneself in uncomfortable situations. But I also want to use my study abroad experience to shape the way that I see myself, and how I fit into the world. I know that studying abroad is going to be challenging, but I am so excited to see how I grow as a person and a citizen of the world.
I bought a travel journal and have started to write down my personal goals for studying abroad, as well as places I want to visit. Here are some places I want to visit and experiences I want to have this next semester.
- Visiting Buckingham Palace and watching the changing of the guard. I started watching “Crown” on Netflix and now I am really fascinated with Queen Elizabeth.
- Eating Tapas at 50 or more Tapas Restaurants. I want to come back home an expert at the taste and texture of tapas.
- Hiking El Camino de Santiago. This is a holy walk on the Northern shore of Spain, where thousands of people make the pilgrimage.
- Eating pizza in Naples, Italy. Naples is where pizza originated, and I would love to feel connected to Naples.
- Visiting the Sagrada Familia by Gaudí in Barcelona.
I want to see if I can accomplish all 5 of my goals this next semester! I will be writing blog posts while I am studying abroad, and am so excited that you get to be on this journey with me.